BioISI research groups (RGs) are constituted by various teams (or Labs) each with a PI who reports to the RG leader RGL. These teams are grouped based on their common scientific area, methodologies, shared technologies and/or organism model. PIs from the same RG contribute to different Thematic Lines (TLs).
Each TL has a Coordinator (TLC) who promotes cooperative interactions to foster integrative research.
The BioISI Director, assisted by the RGLs and TLCs (Scientific Committee), is responsible for the strategic guidance and implementation of the external advisory board recommendations. The Scientific Council comprising all BioISI PhD researchers is the highest decision instance.
Meetings of BioISI Scientific Committee serve to:
- Keep track of scientific and integrative research carried out by RGs;
- Promote interactions and collaboration, ensuring that RGs work together, and build synergies based on their complementary resources and expertise;
- Discuss with TLCs, strategies, scientific and integration issues, to adjust work plans and other relevant issues and to inform all teams to achieve synergy and cooperation among the TLs;
- Create effective external collaborations (e.g., participation in EU projects and industrial interactions);
- Carry out overall management, including issues with facilities, risk management, resolution of conflicts;
- Ensure the exploitation of results and dissemination of foreground knowledge
BioISI’s project, legal and financial management institution is FCiencias-ID – Associação para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento de Ciências, a non-profit private association, endowed with legal personality created in january 9, 2017. FCiências.ID envisages to support, potentiate and develop R&D and innovation activities of its seven associates, therefore creating a more challenging environment for research and innovation.
Communication & Outreach activities are carried out by the BioISI Communication & Outreach Working Group which organizes BioISI seminars and other events, working jointly with FCUL press office to disseminate activities, major achievements, prizes, etc.
BioISI activities are supported by a Secretariat to deal with its managerial aspects, in collaboration with administrative FFCUL/FCUL staff.